Pages

Saturday 16 February 2013

The Brown and White Food Groups

Most people are making better choices in their diet but the English have a saying "a little of what you fancy does you good". In other words, everything in moderation. This brings me to what I like to call the "brown and white" food groups.

Photo Source
The brown and white food groups include chocolate, gravy, ice cream, whip cream, mashed potatoes ... you get the idea. Using the British saying above, I feel comfortable working in foods from these groups into my diet. The secret is not to overindulge.

I rarely eat meat. Vegans call it "flesh". That makes it sound repulsive, which I think is the point. I don't like bread either. My diet is fairly healthy. My favourite lunch is salad, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt for desert. I take cream in my coffee and milk in my tea. If I'm craving something sweet I am more likely to go for yogurt or fruit but I cannot deny there are times I'll reach for a Hostess cupcake (they come under both brown and white).

Women are sometimes driven by hormones and where there are hormones there are cravings. Cravings can be a symptom of a hormone imbalance and your physician can help you with that. Young women have period or pregnancy cravings but I believe junk food's best friend is menopause. I have more cravings now than I ever did in my pregnancy years.

If there is one emotion I hate it is guilt. Let's get rid of guilt. Repeat after me:

A little of what I fancy - from the brown and white food groups - does me good!

No comments:

Post a Comment